Monday, November 16, 2020

Group Microteaching (Grade 8 Percentages) Reflection

 I definitely thought timing was a problem with our presentation. I was guilty of going over my time for sure. Part of it was to do with not being comfortable enough with the technology (i.e. I wasn't planning on doing the slides, and then I also wasn't prepared for the lag in annotation from the audience/students). I was thankful to our classmates for really participating and answers questions enthusiastically during our project, but that may have not been the case with grade 8s. I definitely think shortening the introduction would have helped create some more wiggle space for students to take time and digest the material, as well as answer. Specifically, I would have cut out the example with 5% of $10, just because it was very similar to the previous example and the rest of the presentation was already covering more interesting examples. We also could have gone through the fractions to percentages a bit quicker but I think with some more experience with technology, we would eventually stop running into as many problems with pacing between co-teachers. 

In terms of positives, I thought the examples that Jeff and Zach presented were relevant and seemed to keep the audience interested. A few people mentioned liking the annotation function (credit goes to Jeff for that addition!) and I think it would be good to give more time for annotating/whiteboard functions. I noticed students in schools often like writing on real whiteboards because they are using a different medium. Similarly, in previous Zoom tutoring session I have done, students (as long as they can easily write on their screen) liked being able to have some control and options during a lesson by replying through chat, annotation, and/or by verbal response.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Updated Unit Plan

 Here is a link to my updated Unit Plan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19u0DcQmrspQBU75cpXKx9MLYe_UKQiuQ/view?usp=sharing I have updated t...