Sunday, December 6, 2020

Unit Plan Draft

Below is a link to my unit plan draft:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19u0DcQmrspQBU75cpXKx9MLYe_UKQiuQ/view?usp=sharing

Edit: After taking my classmates' suggestions into consideration, I have updated my unit plan:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19u0DcQmrspQBU75cpXKx9MLYe_UKQiuQ/view?usp=sharing

The major changes are:

- breaks have been written in

- the unit project timeline has changed to allow those who wish to get started on the project early the opportunity to do so

- There was a thought that these lessons may be too long for the allotted time, which may very well be the case. However, I have left them for the time being with the thought that it is better to have more to choose from and to adjust my schedule accordingly if I sense we are not going to get through all the material listed, rather than running out of things to do. Please let me know if this is the wrong approach.

- There was another suggestion to arrange for a library visit, which is an idea I like (I even checked with my practicum school and received permission to do so if I want to during my long practicum). However, I believe the nature of this project is to have students browse the different applications of linear programming, much of which can be found online, so I don't think it is necessary or very time-effective to have them search through books for these very specific pieces of information (although I would definitely allow them to visit the library during the work period if they wanted to). I will try to find another project/opportunity to arrange for a library visit during my long practicum because it's a great opportunity to move away from placing math in its own separate box and instead moving towards interdisciplinary connections.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karishma! Thanks for the updated version of your unit plan, and my apologies for being so late with this feedback.

    Your unit plan is in very good shape, with just a few revisions needed -- well done! I do have a few questions and suggestions for you:

    • Your project sounds like an interesting one! Do you think students would benefit from a list of suggested (do-able) project topics that they could choose from -- perhaps a list with more topics than the number of students, so they have lots of choices? They could also choose something that's not on the list if they have more ideas. I think this might be helpful as they might not have enough background knowledge to choose a topic on their own -- or may choose something that was difficult or impossible to research. Will they be working individually, or in pairs or groups?

    It would be helpful to have your instructions for the project and the beginnings of a marking rubric (which will, of course, be revised with input from the students as in the third lesson plan!)

    • It would be helpful to include a template for the exit slips you will be asking students to write.

    • The photos in all the lessons are not clear enough to read. Perhaps you could link them in a different way -- for example, upload to Google Drive and insert readable links.

    • In your question near the end of Lesson 2, you ask, "what value of the shaded area gives the maximum value for C=6x+4y?" I might be missing something here, but...does a line have a maximum value? And are you giving students a value for the constant C here? I don't quite understand the question.

    • Good choice of the section of video on the chocolate factory and the related problems, and generally very good background research to this topic!

    ReplyDelete

My Updated Unit Plan

 Here is a link to my updated Unit Plan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19u0DcQmrspQBU75cpXKx9MLYe_UKQiuQ/view?usp=sharing I have updated t...